Given the current cybersecurity risks that are associated with modern vehicles, Would you rather drive a new car, or one from 30/40 years ago?

• 8 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

We all know that cars are becoming more and more connected to our environment around us. Just being able to pair to an audio device through bluetooth is now a common occurrence on almost all cars. However, New vehicles are taking a step up, integrating CarPlay in the cars giving users almost full functionality of their mobile phones through the vehicles head unit. We can take it a step further and look at Tesla’s self driving vehicles, are the complexity that their systems have to be able to “self-drive” for short distances. Almost 10 years ago, researchers at black hat were able to take full control of Jeep remotely. Even with the security hardening of these new systems, potential for attack is still quite high. 

My question is given the current state of cybersecurity architecture, would you rather drive a car that is brand new that has ease of usability features yet remains susceptible to cyber attacks on the ECU, Engine and Transmission?

Or drive a much older car (1965/1975) that does not use an ECU, or highly connected components, and rather runs on mechanical signals (pushing the gas thats connected to a pull-rod, which is connected to the carburetor, thus giving more fuel to the motor).. sure you definitely lose some luxuries, but in a doomsday scenario you can run it all day long. 

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would still prefer to go with a new car taking into account the risks associated with it. Sure, you are making yourself more technologically vulnerable but you also have to consider all the advantages you are getting from it. For example, older vehicles from the 60’s 70’s era are significantly easier to break into and much harder to track down. New cars = new technology and more connectivity. Personally, I feel safer in a new car because it is not only physically safer it is also technologically connected. If the world were to reach a doomsday scenario; everything would eventually be destroyed anyways. Might as well take adapt to the latest technologies and be aware of what to expect.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Old. Easier to fix mechanical vs. electronic. Less expensive components. Less threat modeling.  😉. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Having newer tech in a car would definitely be a plus, but I think Tassen’s point reigns here. I don’t think it is worth compromising on the safety that newer cars can offer. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable driving around a 1965/1975 car on the daily- seatbelts weren’t even mandatory then!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I think an older car can be great as a back up, but it still has its own problems. They can’t be remotely controlled, but they can still be stolen...with just a thin length of rope sometimes. Older cars can also be prone to mechanical failures too with so many moving parts. I’d want a newer car with nice safety features for daily driving.  Some newer cars enjoy over the air updates for the software too which hopefully gets them ahead of criminals. Or at very least mitigate further exploitation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I like Phivu’s response because I love cars and any reason to get another one is a great reason. We test drove a Tesla the other day and all they gave us was an RFID card to access and drive the car. I was so paranoid I thought they were listening in on our conversations within the Tesla. When we returned the car I had no idea if it was still on which got me thinking how many people leave their car running unknowingly thus creating an opportunity. I am against Tesla as it is software on wheels and we know what happens with software. 

My ideal driveway would be a newer hybrid (Toyota/Lexus) to take advantage of the safety features, Apple CarPlay, and fuel efficiency. The second car would be an older car with a V8 engine. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I think it really depends on what you are looking for and weighing out the pros and cons for yourself. Driving a new car has its advantages with vehicles being equipped with advanced safety features like anti-lock braking systems, and electronic stability control. They also offer comfort such as navigations systems, connectivity with smartphones and parking assist. Although, I understand that these features also come with a risk of making your vehicle more vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks compared to a car you would find built in 1965/1975. 

On the other hand, older cars don’t have these cyber security risks because they lack advanced electronic systems found in modern cars. These older vehicles have a certain charm and simplicity that some drivers appreciate. They can often be easier to repair and maintain because of their mechanical rather than electronic nature. However they may lack some safety features and comforts that come with modern cars. 

The great thing about living in the city is you don’t necessarily need to have a car as their are various methods of transportation available to you.  Although, once I am back in the market for a car, my hope is the automotive industry will have found a way to take care of the many vulnerabilities and safety concerns that have come up with modern cars. I am definitely on the side of comfort, safety, and more efficiency!😁

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It raises a crucial question about the trade-off between modern amenities and potential security risks.  I rather drive a new car with great safety features and take the risk of the cyber security threats.

In light of current cybersecurity risks associated with modern vehicles, driving a car from 30 or 40 years ago might seem like a safer choice. Older vehicles typically lack the advanced computer systems and connectivity features that can be vulnerable to cyberattacks. However, it's important to note that older cars may have their own set of safety and reliability issues due to aging components and technology. Ultimately, the choice depends on individual preferences and priorities, but it's crucial to stay informed about cybersecurity measures and updates regardless of the vehicle's age.