Question

Could Electric Vehicles Be Hacked?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Did anyone watch  this video the Wall Street Journal published?

Cybersecurity experts warn that EVs will be ripe targets for hackers unless more attention is paid to the risk. I think I'm like most people following the trend of wanting a more eco-friendly environment, but I can't help but worry that electric vehicles are especially vulnerable to cyberattacks. Click here for the video

To start, many EVs today have the same "connected" features found in a smartphone, meaning they come with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This means hackers could potentially access the car's systems remotely to control its functions or retrieve data from it. Hackers could also use a car's navigation system to track its movements, or even disable the vehicle completely.

Ultimately, there's no way to guarantee an EV won't be hacked, but automakers and security experts can work together to protect against cyber threats and make sure EVs are as safe as possible. As more people switch over to electric vehicles, it's important that we take steps to keep them secure.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Fortunately, automakers and security researchers are working to identify and address these vulnerabilities. Car manufacturers are implementing measures to protect against cyber attacks, such as encryption and firewalls, while researchers are actively seeking out weaknesses and developing countermeasures.

However, as with any connected device, the risk of hacking can never be completely eliminated. It's important for electric vehicle owners to stay informed about potential security threats and to take basic precautions such as keeping their vehicle's software up to date and avoiding connecting to unsecured network.

es, electric vehicles (EVs) could potentially be hacked. Like any computerised system, EVs rely on software and electronics to operate, and these systems can be vulnerable to cyber attacks if they are not properly secured. Here are some examples of ways in which an EV could be hacked like Remote access, Malware and Charging station attacks

To protect against these types of attacks, EV manufacturers and charging station operators need to take steps to ensure that their systems are properly secured. This might include using encryption to protect data, requiring strong passwords for access, and implementing other security measures to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, EV owners should be aware of the potential risks and take steps to protect themselves, such as keeping their software up to date and avoiding using public charging stations that they do not trust.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

In terms of the electronics chips and software employed, the security system of electric vehicles needs to be upgraded.

The most crucial thing for the average individual is to be aware of these things, follow all the instructions, and use the security patches to safeguard the car.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Cybersecurity experts describe numerous ways hackers could infect electric vehicles and chargers with malware. Electric vehicles are packed with chips and software that control everything from their batteries and motors to cruise control and braking. Although it's not only EVs that are vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks, even internal combustion engine vehicles with electronic consoles and digital key fobs are prone to hacking too.

An EV also uses millions more lines of computer code, he says. Yet despite this heavy reliance on computer technology, we are in a very immature and early stage” in EV cybersecurity protections, Of particular concern are the periodic software updates that EV makers transmit to their customers’ vehicles wirelessly. If a hacker could insert malware into these updates, it potentially could damage hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

Yes ,off course ,any device which is connected to the internet - can, and are , be hacked included electric vehicles and also their chargers. Electrical vehicles have complex system software that handles a variety of driving-related tasks. For whatever reason, hackers could get your EV's security codes and take remote control of some functionalities, allowing them to access your personal information.

As a Tesla owner, I’m obviously concerned about the possibility.  That reminds me, Tesla did pay out a nice bug bounty for a guy who put in a script as his car name, and found that Tesla wasn’t validating that input field:

https://samcurry.net/cracking-my-windshield-and-earning-10000-on-the-tesla-bug-bounty-program/